Family Tree of
Capt. John Quicksall & Elizabeth Hunt
Grandson of William Quicksall of Boulones

Capt. John Quicksall 
b. 1742
d. 1783

married Elizabeth Hunt
b. 1744
d. 1784

Together They Had Five Children

Child #1


Aaron Quicksall
b. 1776
married (1) Abigail Shreve
(mother of the children)
(2) Rebecca Morington
Together They Had Two Children
Joe Quicksall
b. 1802
m. ? Shreve
Together They Had One Child
Job Quicksall
b. 1858
Caleb Quicksall
m. Mary Nixon
Together They Had Seven Children

Child #2


Sarah Quicksall
b. 1777
d. 1832
married John Anderson
Nothing is known about their children.

Child #3


John Quicksall
b. 04/1779
married Sarah Gardiner
b. 06/08/1778
Together They Had Nine Children
Thomas Gardiner Quicksall John Quicksall
Died in Infancy
Elizabeth Hunt Quicksall
John Hunt Quicksall Kittuhha Quicksall Abraham G. Quicksall
Sarah C. Quicksall Richard Campion Quicksall Mary Ann Quicksall
m. Jonathan Knight

Child #4


Elizabeth Quicksall
b. 1782
d. 1864
married Jesse Baker
Nothing is known about their children.

Child #5


Mary Quicksall
b. 1784
After her father's death
married Henry Stafford
Nothing is known about their children.

History on Capt. John Quicksall and his Family

Written by Laura Quicksall Hanks
During the American Revolution, John Quicksall, Jr. (1741-1783), Quaker of Burlington, organized, at the dismay of his father and financed at his own expense, 100 men to fight in the war. Being elected as Captain by his men, Capt. John Quicksall Jr. received his commission on August 26, 1775, and his organized company was incorporated into the First Regiment of Burlington County Volunteers. Capt. Quicksall served gallantly under Gen. George Washington and at the close of the war, was honorably mustered out.

There were several major battles in and around New Jersey during the Revolutionary War and by reason, however, of the hardships endured, Capt. John Quicksall, Jr.'s health suffered. He lived but a short while to enjoy the liberty which he so nobly and generously helped to win. His death occurred on October 10, 1783, and his pregnant wife who had been left with four young children also died shortly afterwards, apparently in childbirth or complications of childbirth. The Captain's heavy war debt was cleared by his proud and honorable father according to his father's will. John Quicksall, Sr.'s will dated October 30, 1783, mentioned his widowed daughter-in-law and her four children, but then a codicil was added March 22, 1784, probably because of the daughter-in-law's sudden death, "Land in Nottingham near Assanjunk to pay debts of son John, deceased."

After the deaths of Capt. John Quicksall, Jr., of the Revolutionary War, in 1783 and his wife in early 1784, John Hunt, the father -in-law, took the orphaned Quicksall children to Kentucky. The three Quicksall Girls, Sarah, Elizabeth, and baby Mary married Kentucky men. The two Quicksall boys, Aaron and John, left Kentucky and went back to their home state and married New Jersey women.

Provided by Roger A. Bullard May 31, 1998
I've just found your page. Interesting. I am a descendant of the Elizabeth Quicksall you mention in your Kentucky paragraph.

She married Jesse Baker, who migrated to Owen County, Kentucky from North Carolina. His father Moses happened to have come originally from only a few miles from where I now live in North Carolina. Jesse fought in the War of 1812, and when Elizabeth later sought a widow's pension, she had to go through all sorts of government red tape. Her deposition, telling much of the family story, is in the National Archives.

Their daughter Sarah married a George Wheatley, son of an early Owen County settler, who came there from NC. The family came to NC from Virginia earlier. The village where they settled was called Dallasburg. It was later changed to Wheatley. I have a photograph of a very elderly Sarah Wheatley standing in front of the Wheatley home with several other family members. She and her husband George are buried in a little family cemetery behind the house. The house was still there as late as 1961, when I last visited. At that time it was still in family hands, but has since passed from the family.

George and Sarah's son Anderson Quicksall Wheatley married in Cincinnati. He joined up with some Confederate troops, but was captured before leaving Kentucky. He spent the rest of the war at Camp Douglas outside Chicago. Family tradition says that he almost starved, and that when he returned home, he had to be fed with a medical record. His military prison record is in the National Archives. Family tradition also says that during his imprisonment his father George wrote Pres. Lincoln on his behalf, and that Lincoln answered. If the letter still exists (if ever it did), no one seems to know anything about it. After the war "Quick," as he was known, settled in Magnolia, Arkansas, with his wife, Bettie Headley Reed.

Their daughter Dora married a young man named Bonnie Miller Bennett, who came to Arkansas from around Coldwater, Mississippi. They moved to Memphis, where they raised a large family of 2 boys and 7 or 8 girls.

Their daughter, Mable, married Roger Maurice Bullard, who came up from Calhoun City, Mississippi, during the Depression. He was an electrician most of his working life. They are still living, in their eighties.

I am Roger Aubrey Bullard, their oldest son, and live in Wilson, NC, where I spent my career teaching religion at Atlantic Christian College (now Barton College). Retired since 1994, I now work part-time with the United Bible Societies.

The information you have, by the way, about the Quicksalls of Kentucky, pretty much squares with that which I have collected. I believe you may add a bit to my knowledge of the earlier Quicksalls in NJ. It seems like I have a copy of an early will of one of those Quicksalls. They must not have been very good Quakers. Not only did old John fight in the Revolution, he also owned at least one slave, who was mentioned in the will.